McAfee Knob

I have never been rained on so much while hiking. Heavy rain, steadily, for 18.8 miles. Sometimes it would get heavier. Only a few times did it lighten up slightly, and only just enough to get my hopes up. I started with a rain jacket on for a couple of miles but soon just packed it away and stayed sopping wet the whole day.

I didn’t sleep that well last night since I had set my alarm for 5:45 and am always paranoid about missing early alarms. Caz and Scott were going to meet me to hike McAfee Knob, since it was there and with them that I decided to thru hike a year and a half ago. When I woke up and it was pouring, I was hoping it’d be over by morning. I woke again at 5 and turned my phone on to see a message from Caz that it was pouring there too and looked to continue all day. Since I no longer had to meet them, I tried to go back to sleep for a while but it soon became apparent that a few spots on my tent need to be re-seam sealed and I was getting a few drips in.

I still didn’t feel like getting up and kept waiting for the rain to lighten. Finally I had to accept that it wasn’t going to and I needed to get moving if I wanted to make it to town. It turns out that one of the tent drips was onto my sock so I got to have a wet foot before even leaving the tent, not that it would have stayed dry for long.

I got started two hours after originally planned and was soon at McAfee Knob. I was the only person there so I had a fun time trying to set up my camera and timer in the rain to get my photo on the eagle rock. The background was completely gray and I would have been disappointed to miss it if I hadn’t hiked it before. As it was, I only stopped for a few minutes and kept going. I was sorry to miss the views from Tinker Cliffs later though.

I only stopped briefly one more time to grab a quick snack but it was too cold to stop much otherwise. I didn’t eat a whole lot but planned on catching up in town. All I kept thinking about was a dry bed and hot pizza. I made pretty good time and got to the motel right off the trail around 5:30 where Stretch and Storytime were staying. After a quick shower, we ran errands and then came back and ordered pizza. It was just as amazing as I thought it would be.



Add yours →

  1. Glad to hear you got the pizza. Sorry you couldn’t hang your feet over the edge for a photo. I’m sure you will be back. 🙂

  2. We were so disappointed to miss our adventure, but glad to hear you made it all theweek way to town despite the terrible rain. We were thinking of you and thinking dry thoughts! Thanks for making us part of the journey. Happy Trails!

  3. I’m sorry it rained on you all day!! I bet that pizza was yummy though 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

© 2024 Wayfarer

Theme by Anders NorénUp ↑